Our natural resources are Blessings from Allah SWT, and like all other Blessings, we should make proper use of them. We should not waste our natural resources like water, and should try our best to use it as efficiently as possible. We should be for the "save environment", "go for green", "green planet"etc, more than anybody else. Islam teaches us that. It is a result of our actions that will affect ourselves and our future generations.
Allah says in The Qur'an:
ظَهَرَ الْفَسَادُ فِى الْبَرِّ وَالْبَحْرِ بِمَا كَسَبَتْ أَيْدِى النَّاسِ لِيُذِيقَهُمْ بَعْضَ الَّذِى عَمِلُواْ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْجِعُونَ
"Evil has appeared in the land and the sea because of what the hands of men have earned, that He may make them taste a part of that which they have done, in order that they may return." (Surah Ar-Rum: 41)
And this is what we see today. The depletion of the ozone layer, global warming, deforestation.
There are many things we can do to reduce the evil effects, I will write here only the things that I do, there are much more:
1. Reduce use of plastic covers and bags. Use the Eco-friendly, re-usable ones instead.
2. Turn off the water while brushing, while using soap in the shower etc. Prophet Sallallahu alihi used to use very little water. He would use little water only even for his wudu(ablution).
3. Reduce the use of dishwasher if you do it. I hardly use it.
4. Do not use disposable plastic plates and cups, use paper ones instead.
5. Minimise the use of baby diapers which are almost non-bio-degradable, by potty training them as soon as you can, by not changing them after every pee. I feel its just pampering the kids for no reason, unless they develop rashes or start crying due to discomfort. If you can afford, use organic diapers, g-diapers etc.
6. Plant trees for the public to benefit from in future so that they can enjoy fresh air and a shade. (I use to do this when I was in India)
7. Volunteer for organizations who work for a green environment. InshAllah, I intend to do it soon.
8. Talk about it and address these issues with friends and family whether muslims and non-muslims. We, as muslims should stand up for these issues more than the others.
Please share more as comments.....