وَلاَ تَقْرَبُواْ مَالَ الْيَتِيمِ إِلاَّ بِالَّتِى هِىَ أَحْسَنُ حَتَّى يَبْلُغَ أَشُدَّهُ وَأَوْفُواْ بِالْعَهْدِ إِنَّ الْعَهْدَ كَانَ مَسْؤُولاً - وَأَوْفُوا الْكَيْلَ إِذا كِلْتُمْ وَزِنُواْ بِالقِسْطَاسِ الْمُسْتَقِيمِ ذَلِكَ خَيْرٌ وَأَحْسَنُ تَأْوِيلاً
34. And come not near to the orphan's property except to improve it, until he attains the age of full strength. And fulfill (every) covenant. Verily, the covenant will be questioned about.
35. And give full measure when you measure, and weigh with a balance that is straight. That is good (advantageous) and better in the end.
- If we become guardians of orphans, we have no right to consume their property for ourselves.
- "Do not consume it (the orphan's property) wastefully and hastily fearing that they should grow up, and whoever (among guardians) is rich, he should take no wages, but if he is poor, let him have for himself what is just and reasonable (according to his labor)." [Surah An-Nissa': 6]
- We should always keep our promises that we have made, and covenants (contracts) that we have agreed upon. We will be accountable to Allah SWT on the Day of Reckoning.
- When dealing with weights and measures, be it food like grains, sugar etc, or gold, silver etc, we should always be fair, and not cheat in our dealings. Ibn `Abbas Radhiyallahu anh used to say: "Oh people, you are entrusted with two things for which the people who came before you were destroyed - these weights and measures.'' (Tafseer Ibn Katheer). This was about the people of Prophet Shu'aib alihissalam.
And Allah knows best.