Learning the Beneficial Knowledge derived from the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger
There are certain etiquettes while seeking 'ilm:
1. Always supplicate to Allah, to give you the right knowledge, knowledge that will benefit you in both the worlds, and knowledge that will learn you to a better person.
رَّبِّ زِدْنِى عِلْماً
"Oh Lord, Increase me in knowledge!" (Surah Tha-Ha: 114)
2. When one seeks knowledge, it should be for the sake of Allah SWT. One should always pray to Allah, to purify his intentions. Gain knowledge to worship and thus, please Allah SWT.
3. Show humility. Remember Allah is The All-Knower of all things. "Know" enough to "know" that you "know" not much.
4. Gain the fruit of knowledge and wisdom, and not simply knowledge. The fruit is implying it in one's lives.
5. Respect the one who teaches you, even if you do not agree to him completely. Be polite in asking questions.
6. Do not be among the one who teaches and enjoins good and forbids evil while we, ourselves do not practise it. Allah says in the Qur'an:
أَتَأْمُرُونَ النَّاسَ بِالْبِرِّ وَتَنسَوْنَ أَنفُسَكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ تَتْلُونَ الْكِتَـبَ أَفَلاَ تَعْقِلُونَ
"Enjoin you Al-Birr (piety and righteousness and every act of obedience to Allah) on the people and you forget (to practise it) yourselves, while you recite the Scripture ! Have you then no sense" (Surah Al-Baqara: 44)
Seeking ilm is essential in a muslim's life. One should always continue to be a student of knowledge. One can never afford to become satisfied with the knowledge you have gained. Only when one keeps seeking knowledge of his dheen and learning more Allah and His Book will he keep getting inspirations from it to become a better muslim and perfect your actions and your complete way of life so that you may please Allah SWT.
Let's remember that "To Read" was the first revealation to Our Beloved Prophet Sallallahu alihiwassalam.
Anas Ibn Maalik Radhiyallahu anh narrated that Muhammed Sallallahu alihiwassalam said: Seeking knowledge is obligatory upon every Muslim. (Sahih Sunan Ibn Majah)
And Allah knows best.
To read the next part, click here